Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gearing Up for Christmas

Homemade Christmas Gifts
Every year Grace makes a gift for our immediate family.
This year she decided on homemade Christmas ornaments.  
Cinnamon + Apple Sauce = a whole lot of fun and mess

Rolling out the "dough"

Poking the holes for the ribbon

Our brood of ornaments

After baking for 6 hours they were ready to be painted

This was her favorite part 
Sadly a few of our ornaments got destroyed in the mail and arrived all crumbled up.
My apologies if that happened to yours.  Next year we will try again and use bubble wrap this time!
My great friend Anni's arrived in pieces but she kept the piece, put them in a mesh bag and hung it on her tree.  So resourceful!  Thank you Anni the great idea.

The finished star




Our first Christmas Wreath
Grace begged us for a wreath this year.
Well, we don't have a ton of money to spend on things like wreaths so we got resourceful.
We bought a simple wreath at the Dollar Store and then hot glued on old ornaments that we weren't using anymore to spruce it up.  For a $1 wreath--I think it looks pretty good especially since my sweet 5 year old made it.



Build and Grow
Loren works for Lowe's now and since it's pretty far away we can't make it to their Saturday Build And Grow Workshops so Daddy brings the work shop home.


I love watching the two of them do things together.  He has so much to teach her, things I know nothing about and he does with such care and love.  He's so patient with her and is so great about letting her be a kid--no pressure for perfection. She feels at such ease when she's with him.

Loren wore his Lowe's vest and Grace wore her apron.
He even brought her home a teeny hammer.



And, you can't have Christmas with out biscuits shaped like Gingerbread men and Christmas trees, right?

Soup and Bread in the dead of winter...a perfect way to end a day.


Have I mentioned that I LOVE this time of year.
Getting kind of sad that Christmas is only 3 days away.
It sorta kind of snuck up on us this year.


Grace ready for her 1st Kindergarten Holiday Concert

Walking to her spot.  She was so excited.

Lincoln Elementary Kindergartners.
Grace is right in the middle on the front row

Sorry for the terrible lighting.
I was so far away.
They had red glittery noses on while they sang Rudolph

Grace & her teacher, Mrs. Foley

Her favorite Kindergarten buddy

And another friend from PM kinder who's in her dance class

And, she got to sing at church.
Although she was much more nervous this go round.
I was lucky to get this shot as the rest of the time she had her hands covering her eyes/face.

And, what's Christmas with out MILK AND COOKIES.
I can't help myself.  I just love throwing themed play dates especially for a bunch of little girlies.
Such joy this brought to my heart.



Goody bags Grace made 


They made Reindeer Food

The Reindeer Food


Thank you Johnny Cakes for the scrumptious cup cakes

craft time

game time


Flower won!

Grace put together a Reindeer Obstacle Course.
Amazingly cute

Cookie Decorating Time






Dance Party Time



Such a sweet group of girls

Gift exchange Time (Secret Santa)

And, Loren ended the party with a Christmas Story
Twas The Night Before Christmas



I think we *might* be ready for Christmas now.

I am going to be writing up a Christmas "Letter" and will post by way of my blog.
Be back on Christmas Day

1 comment:

  1. Melissa and Loren!! You are the most devoted, most creative parents I know. It does take two (!) and few Dads are around to really know what kids thrive on and need. You two have made that aspect of childrearing an art. You should consider holding classes for parents....I'm dead serious. Many parents need guidance. You're the duo to provide that. That accomplished, this would be a better world, kids would feel love, learn respect, become motivated to do their best at everything they do, etc., etc, etc. Change the world!!! You've got what it takes....Many Blessings to you and your lovely daughter, Grace, rightly named, might I add!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear back from you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.