Tuesday, May 31, 2011

ANXIETY: A state of uneasiness and apprehension, as about future uncertainties



We all have had, felt, experienced anxiety.

anxi·ety (aŋ zīə tē)
noun pl. anxieties -·ties
  1. a state of being uneasy, apprehensive, or worried about what may happen; concern about a possible future event
  2. Psychiatry an abnormal state like this, characterized by a feeling of being powerless and unable to cope with threatening events, typically imaginary, and by physical tension, as shown by sweating, trembling, etc.
  3. an eager but often uneasy desire: anxiety to do well



Be anxious for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6, 7

I love this Scripture verse.  I run it through my head on a regular basis.
But at the same time it can be slightly frustrating. Well, the scripture is not what's frustrating, it's the fact that the anxiety does not just go away the instant you ask and that there's a process, sometimes a long and painful process, to get to that point.
It is easy to say "do not be anxious" but to actually get rid of your anxiety is a totally different feat.

I wouldn't say that I suffer from anxiety but when things are unknown, feeling out of our control, have the potential to have a negative effect &  when things are not going the way they are "suppose" to, people start passing judgement/misrepresented, etc.  I tend to feel great waves on anxiety.  And, it has the potential to be all consuming.  And, there is NO WAY I want anything to be all consuming except my relationship with my heavenly father,
I don't hate a lot of things but I loath, abhor, despise, detest....you get the point....anxiety.  
I have many friends who suffer greatly from it and it breaks my heart.  

I have always wondered: How does one get rid of anxiety?
I've prayed.
I've read scripture.
I've been an open book and told people about what's going on but the only thing that ever seems to "make" it stop is for the situation to be over/resolved or so far removed that I don't think about it anymore.  

How do you extinguish your anxiety?

Of course I will always pray when feeling this way.  Always seek scripture for truth and comfort.  But I just keep thinking; there has got to be a quick fix.  And, then I laugh.....God allows things for a reason and most things worth really working on and fixing take time and require more than a "quick fix;" they require a heart change. 
"knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance"  1 James 1-3 
"Moreover [let us also be full of joy now!] let us exult and triumph in our troubles and rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that pressure and affliction and hardship produce patient and unswerving endurance."  Romans 5: 3



I know it must seem odd that I am writing about anxiety this evening.
It's not the typical conversation topic on our blog, but tonight I am anxious.
Fearing the unknown (sorry to be so vague) but at the same time knowing that even if the *worst* happens God will be there to help us through.  I just can't stand the not knowing part.  I love God with all my heart.  I trust in Him and have seen Him do miraculous things in dire situations in our lives but I am human.  I lack faith at times.  I lack trust.  I deny, not purposefully, the things I know to be true and therefore I fear, feel anxious, and wait. But, in the midst of that I pray and seek Gods comfort and know deep down in my heart that in the end.....

the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

And, as I wrote that it just hit me....I seek him more in these times of doubt.  Hmmmm......
Maybe He is allowing me to feel this way in certain circumstances because not only do I need more of Him but He wants more from me.  

On that note, I will say goodnight.
Go snuggle up to my hubby who is already in dreamland and pray as I fall asleep and trust that by tomorrow afternoon all will be well.....well, with our souls.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear back from you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.