Monday, September 19, 2011

A Dash of Random




The Grinch
What a great Sunday.  Loren had to work so Grace and I jumped in the car and decided to go on a trail walk.  After our walk around Carey Lake, Grace slipped off her socks and shoes and stepped into the chilly water.  She is adamant about finding shells these days, even if it means frozen toes.  She can't wait for Grandpa to bring her sea shells and a starfish from Florida.  She talks about it every single day, dreaming about the kinds of shells he is going to bring her.  She wants a full on collection.  It was a wonderful way to end our day. The sun was setting, the temperature was dropping, there was a quiet that allowed us to hear all the crickets singing in the bushes. The grasshoppers danced all around us giving us a freight ever now and then.  It was quite perfect in my book.  While Gracie's feet were drying, we watched some of the college guys (it's Welcome Week at CWU) use the "Grinch" to ski across the lake with out a boat.  It was pretty spectacular and something we have never seen before.  I love little surprise.
Not to be confused with THE Grinch
On the way home, Grace and I were listening to the radio.  There was a guest speaker on and he was talking about the three things kids need most: Love (being loving and teaching how to love).  Limits (setting boundaries, teaching respect, saying No....).  Time (Quality & Quantity-not over committing your kids with extra curricular activities (how it's harmful vs. helpful in the long run), having meals together daily, getting rid of the abundant use of technology so you can have abundant family time together instead etc.).  


I was so grateful for this message.  It was refreshing, reassuring and a good reminder.   These are the three things Loren and I strive to be/do as parents on a daily basis.  We don't always succeed at all three at the same time but it's our goal and has been since Grace was a newborn. 
Another little surprise and blessing. Thank you K-Love.    



Grace is loving school.  And, when I am not working, I am enjoying having that 2.5 hour time block to myself.  
Sorry, I haven't put up any photos yet.
Our IPhoto is acting up and it's some how *gulp* sent my 1st day of Kindergarten photos into the oblivion.  I am praying Loren can work his magic and find them for me.  I will write more about Kindergarten in a few days when i have photos to go along with it.


I am truly enjoying our newish bedtime routine.  And, so is Grace.  It's definitely Win Win. Last night we got done with pre-quiet time stuff early so she had 45 minutes to read to herself.  Blissful heaven for my little book lover.   If you don't remember the new routine you can find it HERE.  
And, because of the elongated "quiet time" last night, by 7:30/lights out, I had finished all my daily night time cleaning: hand wash dishes, laundry, sweep, vacuum, clean off kitchen counters, dining room table, living room.  But, I also cleaned the bathroom too and earlier I had Grace help me tidy up her playroom and bedroom. Hooray!  This allowed me, while Grace was in school today, the joy of being able to focus on things other than cleaning up the house, like enjoying a coffee date with a friend.  




I can not believe fall is upon us. 
As much as I'm dreading winter, I have visions of pumpkins dancing in my head.
Pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin scones, pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread.....
Oh the possibilities.
And, my dad is coming to visit the last full week in October so I'll have an excuse to make all this yummy goodness.  Dad, I hope you like pumpkin!  



And on a final and not so random note:  
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Mark Statema, (Aunt) Sandy Inbody and Sara Weidenbach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear back from you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.